Thursday, April 19, 2012

Some History... (Cortina)


I was born in Waset (now known as Thebes) but I grew up in the city named after my father, Akehenaten (now known as Amarna). Life for an Egyptian Princess was not always easy. Around the time I was born, there was much controversy surrounding my father, Akehenaten, who was King at the time. His ideas of monotheism created much of the controversy. He decided that all of Egypt should  worship one God, being the most important God above all others, rather than worshiping many Gods, as had been the tradition for a very long time. My father made Aten (god of the sun disk) the most supreme of all of the Gods. He even built a huge palace between the political capital at Memphis and the religious center at Thebes. He named this new palace, Akehenaten, meaning, Place of the Sun Disk's Power.  In the palace he commissioned a stone carving of myself, my sister's, our mother, Queen Nefertiti, and himself. Our life during the time of my early childhood, despite the religious controversy, can be described for the most part as tranquil, and not as formal as the families of the pharaohs that had preceded us. We enjoyed a lavish lifestyle, while the peasants ate a very limited diet, we benefited from a large variety of vegetables, fruits, meats, grains, nuts and wine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment