Sunday, April 22, 2012

Imhotep and Ankhesenamun (Teresa)

Me & Imhotep in Movie Poster
In the movie series "The Mummy" I was very impressed the makers of these films chose to use actual historical figures.  Unfortunately, I was disappointed at how they portrayed Imhotep.  In the movie, Imhotep was high priest in 1290 BCE under the rule of Pharaoh Seti I.  He began an affair with Pharaoh Seti's mistress, Ankhesenamun, and they murder the Pharaoh when he discovers it.  After doing so, they are discovered and Ankhesenamun commits suicide with the intention of having Imhotep resurrect her.  He attempts to do so but is captured at Hamunaptra, and is punished by enduring the Curse of Hom Dai, a ritual that involved cutting out his tongue and mummifying Imhotep alive with his sarcophagus filled with carnivorous scarab beetles.  As a result of the curse, Imhotep was made an undead fiend with control over sand and other elements. 

The real Imhotep
OK - now to set the record straight.  To begin with, I never met Imhotep.  He was born approximately 1,000 years before me and lived during the reign of King Djoser, of the Third Dynasty.  He is most famous for having designed Djoser's Step Pyramid which is the first known true pyramid in Ancient Egypt.  His responsibilities included being the High Priest and Chief Architect of Heliopolis.  He was also a physician.  Imhotep diagnosed and treated over 200 diseases, 15 diseases of the abdomen, 11 of the bladder, 10 of the rectum, 29 of the eyes, and 18 of the skin, hair, nails and tongue.  Imhotep treated tuberculosis, gallstones, appendicitis, gout and arthritis.  He also performed surgery and practiced some dentistry.  Far from being cursed, Imhotep was actually revered.  He was deified as a god of wisdom and learning and we all believed he was son of the god Ptah.  There is a temple dedicated to him at Philae.  I do not know where he is buried, but he did live to be an old man.

In addition to the facts about Imhotep, I have to tell you I have never heard of the place called  Hamunaptra.  Plus, we have never had any pyramids at Thebes and there are no such thing as flesh-eating scarabs.  Scarabs eat dung and do not move very fast.  I am very grateful this part of the movie is not historically accurate!

7 comments:

  1. Good job tying the movie in with what actually happened. Hollywood is good at taking creative license with actual events. Of course it wouldn't have been much of a movie if they stuck to the facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to let you know about Imhotep. He did many great things for my people and left a great legacy. There seems to be so much mystery and romance surrounding your stories of my people and my past. Thanks to people like Howard Carter, you are able to know and understand who we were and how we lived.

      Delete
  2. Hamunaptra was found in India , The city of the dead

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if this make believe story was real I would forgive her because I love her so much I'd rather die than not be with ankasenemen

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's the queen of heaven we have bonded souls it's physically impossible for us to not love each other we are the only1 of our kind we come as one I love you she. Ra forever my mind body and soul is your temple without the human body my word I miss my girl so much she loves me just as much back as if she would cheat on ra the sun God if I was to talking about the strengths of our love my words would not stop our love is my favourite circle �

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our colour was not white Asian or black

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not too happy about the false love affairs so far I've died 7 ways and she's slept with every man

    ReplyDelete